I was all set to add my thoughts about the recent U.S. Open in Washington State, but it was more dramatic and entertaining on the home front at last week’s First National Bank/ Navajo Trail Open.
No matter how you slice it, give me green and lush over drab and formerly gravelly.
Lay that word out on your Scrabble board.
To see a mid-tournament 10-under-61 on the clubhouse scoreboard was an astounding feat at this level of regional competition.
Congratulations to everyone for another exceptional NTO.
Hillcrest Golf Club
Lets return to the tournament schedule, or should I say reschedule, as the Hampton Inn-Yellow Ball Challenge will give it another go June 28th.
Rain, now a distant memory, got in the way of competition a few weeks ago and now will hit the links on the 28th with tee times beginning at 10 a.m.
Dalton Ranch Golf Club
Next will be The Choker on June 27th.
This is one of the most popular events on the DRGC calendar and is preceded by a Calcutta on the evening of June 26th at the Pavilion.
Pagosa Springs Golf Club
Ladies, mark July 7-8 on your calendar for the Pine Cone Classic Charity Golf Tournament.
This event, to benefit the Thingamajig Theatre at the Pagosa Springs Center for the Arts, is packed with all sorts of fun events and a very inventive format for the 36-holes of competition.
The entry fee is $160 per person, which includes greens fees and cart, free range balls on tournament days, breakfast both days, a Tuesday evening Hollywood dinner and theatre presentation, and an awards luncheon.
Columbine Classic Duet
June 17-18, Glacier Club and Dalton Ranch Golf Club
1. Jill Crombie, Donna Flynn, Marina Siepiela and Becky Van Noord, 196.2.
2. Aimee Fladt, Stephanie Jaquez, Kay Rogers and Laurie Simmons, 196.3.
3. Liz Kennedy, Michelle Kyne, Margie Landis and Paula Treiber, 207.3.
1. Peggy Brink, Joni Hornbeck, Ann Scarry and Kelle Wilson, 190.4.
2. Kiley Appleton, Amy Brunvand, Alison Epstein and Sheri Teeter, 192.9.
3. Nancy Bennett, Cindy Kring, Christine Manninen and Carol Zito, 198.9.
1. Nancy Barr, Kristi Gibbs, Janis Smith and Carol Woodward, 192.1.
2. Anita Hagen, Dorothy Saltzman, Debby Titus and Tyra Vanbelle, 203.
3. Linda Ellingwood, Jan Flemming, Dolly Turner and Susan Voorhees, 209.6.
1. Lynn Evans, Karen Gotcher, Carmen McLaughlin and Christine Miles, 206.7.
2. Ann Emigh, Marlene Gebhardt, Sandy Kolb and Pat Root, 206.9.
3. Becky Berry, Sue Carey, Debra Cline and Carrie Ingram, 212.6.
Dave Bray has been covering the local golf scene for 33 years. He can be reached at email@example.com.