Darrin Parmenter

Position: Director and horticulture agent

Email: parmenterdm@co.laplata.co.us

Greg Felsen

Email: gregory.felsen@co.laplata.co.us

Nicole Clark

Position: Family and consumer science agent

Email: nicole.clark@co.laplata.co.us

Prebiotics, probiotics in natural foods can benefit your gut health

Many of us spend time carefully perusing grocery shelves looking for healthier foods, particularly items advertising prebiotics and probiotics. New research is showing how important these two...

DATE: Oct. 11, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

Loving baseball, even in the season of heartbreak

Former Major League Baseball Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti once wrote about America’s pastime: “It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when...

DATE: Oct. 5, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

La Plata County 4-H members shine at Colorado State Fair

The 2018 Colorado State Fair concluded earlier this month on Labor Day. Each year, many local 4-H members enter projects, participate in contests and compete in livestock, horse and shooting sports...

DATE: Sept. 13, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

Take these simple steps to avoid foodborne illness

If 49 percent of adult meals are eaten away from home, according to the National Restaurant Association, what about the other 51 percent? The majority of “stomach flu” is actually food poisoning....

DATE: Sept. 7, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

The harvest, the weather make September great

I’m a fan of September – if it had an Instagram page, I would follow it; a Facebook site, I would like it. The cool mornings, afternoons in the 80s and nights with open windows make up for the...

DATE: Sept. 3, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

Smart planning can go a long way when it’s time to retire

Over the last few weeks, four friends have decided that it was time to retire. Retirement should take some planning – at least five years is the recommendation. Because the national average age...

DATE: Aug. 10, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

Let the county fair shine its light on you

You look for bright spots. No matter what you have happening in your life, you look for those times, those people or those moments when a bit of sunshine can make a world of difference. As Brandi...

DATE: Aug. 6, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

Join the fun as the La Plata County Fair celebrates its 70th anniversary

Since 1948, La Plata County has organized an annual county fair. This year marks the event’s 70th anniversary. Join us from Aug. 8 to Aug. 12 at the La Plata County Fairgrounds to celebrate “70...

DATE: July 23, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

After a fire, assess possible damage to food, medications

Skies are turning gray and thunder is here. We are happy the rains will finish off the 416 Fire and hopefully make a dent in this unprecedented drought. People have returned to their homes, but...

DATE: July 13, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

Remember that we are a community – be kind to each other

It would be pretty easy to write another article about the drought. As someone who deals with plants on a daily basis, I have seen the effects of this drought on trees, shrubs, lawns, weeds,...

DATE: July 9, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

La Plata County Extension Office can house livestock affected by 416 Fire

The La Plata County Fairgrounds is an evacuation site for residents with livestock animals that have been affected by the 416 Fire. Our facilities are also equipped to house horses. We have two...

DATE: June 13, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

Don’t let fear of carbohydrates cut into vegetable consumption

It is the season for corn, fresh vegetables and wonderful fruits. When I hear someone say, “Corn isn’t a vegetable! It’s all starch, I don’t eat it” or “I don’t eat anything white – it’s bad,” it...

DATE: June 7, 2018 | COLUMN: From the Extension Office

click here to add your event
Area Events