Suicide logo

Special series: Solutions to youth suicide in La Plata County

Fire

Cortez fire guts 3 shops

An early-morning blaze in downtown Cortez on Sunday gutted three businesses and halted eastbound and westbound traffic on Main Street for hours. Cortez Fire Chief Jeff Vandevoorde said the fire...

DATE: Feb. 9, 2014 | CATEGORY: Local News

BP offices evacuated for smoke from electric issue

More than 100 employees were evacuated from the BP operations center at 380 Airport Road on Friday after a fire alarm was set off and smoke was reported inside the building. The Upper Pine, Los...

DATE: Jan. 31, 2014 | CATEGORY: Local News

Fire destroys new resident’s home

A fire engulfed a home at 517 County Road 230 midday Friday near Elmore’s Corner. The home’s new resident, who was moving in Friday, escaped the flames just in time to avoid injury. Though the...

DATE: Jan. 17, 2014 | CATEGORY: Local News

Passers-by alert residents of fire

Two vistors who were out on the town early Monday morning may have kept a backyard fire from turning into something even more serious. Justin Kappeler and David Kaiser had walked a friend home and...

DATE: Jan. 5, 2014 | CATEGORY: Local News

Farmington Hill house fire sends 1 to Mercy

One person was taken to Mercy Regional Medical Center on Tuesday evening after firefighters responded to a two-story home that caught fire near the top of Farmington Hill. On Tuesday night, Karola...

DATE: Dec. 17, 2013 | CATEGORY: Local News

Firefighters squelch Grandview chimney fire

Firefighters are reminding residents to keep their chimneys clean after flames were seen jettisoning out of a flue early Monday in the Grandview area. The fire was reported at 9:57 a.m. by a...

DATE: Dec. 16, 2013 | CATEGORY: Local News

House catches fire south of Elmore’s Corner

Fire severely damaged a home Wednesday on the Florida Mesa, possibly the result of a malfunctioning hot tub, fire officials said. It was the third time in 20 years the house has caught fire. The...

DATE: Nov. 27, 2013 | CATEGORY: Local News

Furnace smokes arts center

Smoke spewed from a malfunctioning furnace at the Durango Arts Center on Monday morning, but the furnace was shut down before it could catch fire or cause any damage, said Randy Black, battalion...

DATE: Oct. 7, 2013 | CATEGORY: Local News

Greasy rags fill Bent with smoke

Durango’s Bent Urban Sports Bar filled with smoke early Monday after oily and greasy rags began to decompose in a process known as spontaneous combustion. Residents who live in apartments above the...

DATE: Sept. 15, 2013 | CATEGORY: Local News

Defective hood system eyed in downtown fire

A hood system designed to suppress stove-top fires may have malfunctioned earlier this month during a kitchen fire at Ken & Sue’s Restaurant in Durango, a fire marshal said Thursday. The...

DATE: Aug. 21, 2013 | CATEGORY: Local News

Blaze contained near Bayfield

A farmer burning ditches Sunday near County Road 523 south of Bayfield saw winds pick up and take the flames past his property line, eventually scorching about 5 to 10 acres, said Bruce Evans,...

DATE: April 20, 2013 | CATEGORY: Local News

Hilltop House electrical fire

DATE: March 4, 2013 | CATEGORY: Local News

click here to add your event
Area Events
Directory Plus

Search Directory Plus

Find:
Where: